Monday, May 9, 2022

Travel Day - Part 1

May 9, 2022


It was an early-rise day, waking about 3am and hitting the shower by 4am.  Next it was about the final steps in packing, arranging the things that needed to go in my small carryon and my backpack in their proper places.  I made a quick sandwich for breakfast and then it was time to leave.  We were picking up Heather on the way and got to the airport by by 5:20 or so.  She checked her bag and went into the regular TSA line and I went into the TSA-Pre.  The advantage of Pre is that I don’t have to take anything off or take anything out of my bags but the scanning takes longer and Heather was through before I was.


I did request that the six rolls of film I was carrying be hand checked and they honored that but took it away to do what I think was to wipe them down looking for chemical residue.  It passed and I grabbed my stuff and headed upstairs to the gate.


Aiden, Morgan, and Heather were already there and we were joined shortly by Isabelle and Elizabeth.  We chatted and did those last minute pre-flight duties like filling our water bottles before being called for boarding.  


The flight to Denver was pretty normal, smooth until we got near the city and then bumpy all the way down.  During the flight I got my sketchbook out and doodled a bit.  One is of the seat across the aisle, a scene I’ve done many times in the past, and the other was just a stippling of the tray latch on the back of the seat in front of me.







The others in our group are all on the same flight to Newark and we walked over to their gate and hung out for a bit.  He were are:




I parted ways with the group because I’m headed to Toronto instead of Newark.  I can’t remember why I booked through Canada but it probably had to do with the type of ticket I bought for the long haul over the ocean or that when I saw that the total transit time and price via Newark direct to Venice was the same as via Toronto and Frankfurt to Venice, I must have wanted an adventure.  At 9:15 I headed for my gate which was at the opposite end on the “B” terminal. The app on my phone told me that it would be a 15-minute walk and it was close to that.  I’ve been through this airport quite a few times and I don’t remember seeing it this crowded.  It seemed that every gate I walked past was packed with waiting passengers.


They were just starting the pre-boarding when I got to my gate and letting us know, since it was an international flight, masks are required and to have passports and boarding passes ready.  They also said that since it is a small plane with limited room, that once the carryon spaces were filled, all other bags would be checked but would be picked up at the gate in Toronto.  Being a “Group 4” person, I was among the last to load so they took my bag.  That’s not bad since I don’t then have to deal with it on the plane.


The plane was smaller than the 737 that brought us to Denver, just 2 seats on each side of the aisle.  





It was a pretty uneventful 3 hours or so and I passed the time reading my Kindle, texting home (had Wi-Fi on the plane), and making dots in my sketchbook.  Toronto looks clear and clean.  I realized that I hadn’t been here since 1979 and that was on a motorcycling trip from Southern California.  





Once we were on the ground, the flight attendant made some announcements about what we were supposed to do when we got off the plane.  I could swear she said that “everyone” needed to proceed to immigration and customs and that we needed our “ArriveCan” paperwork in order.  Huh?   When we got off the plan we were routed through one hallway after another and up and down escalators.  Terminal employees kept saying “This way” and before I could figure out what was going on, I was in the immigration queue, sent to a kiosk to scan me and my papers and then to a border agent.  I asked why I had to go though all this if I am just making a connection and, after looking at my papers, she said I didn’t.  She was great though.  She took me back past the security area without waiting in line and got me pointed to the international connection terminal.  She was extremely helpful and did tell me that this happens all the time, though I was her first today.


When I got to the international gate I walked through a Richard Serra installation, his curved steel plates pointing the way.





I found my gate and they had just started loading Zone 1.  I looked at my boarding pass and no zone was indicated.  I think that’s because I am switching airlines, from United to Air Canada.  There were three lines and after asking if the longest one was for Frankfurt I just got in it.  We had another passport and boarding pass check and then it was on the plane. 


Wow!  I am in the section behind Business Class, in Premium Economy and was immediately glad that I sprang for this upgrade.  The seats are wide, separated by a console and on my seat was my welcome package: pillow, blanket, water bottle, sanitizing kit, and a zippered bag with eyeshade, earplugs, socks, and toiletries.  There is lots of legroom, at least a foot from my knees to the seat in front of me.  There is a retractable footrest and the seat reclines, a lot.




Before we took off they came around and took our orders for the meal.  The choices were chicken or veal.  I said I didn’t eat either and he said he could get me the vegetarian pasta served in economy and I said that would be fine.  When he was across the other aisle and taking orders, someone asked him what veal was.  He sort of hemmed around and eventually said, “it’s meat from a cow,” which, I guess, is accurate enough.  (She went for the chicken.). 


Once in the air, the refreshment trolley came around and, in my section, all drinks are complementary.  I had some tomato juice, straight.  Soon after, the meals were served.  The pasta was excellent as was the slaw salad and the carrot cake.  Cloth napkin, real silverware, and, except for my pasta, ceramic bowls.  Living large.





Now to get settled down for the long flight.  As the daylight outside moved into dusk, the interior lights changed to match it.  





I read my Kindle for a while and then decided it would be a good time to write this up as far as I’ve gone today.  The only downside to the flight, and they apologized, is that the inflight WiFi wasn’t working so I have no Internet access but that doesn’t stop me from writing this offline for posting later.  Now I think I might try out my inflatable neck pillow and the eyeshade I sewed up last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

MSUB Study Abroad to Italy 2022 - Table of Contents

 Table of Contents May 8, 2022 - Getting Ready to Go May 9, 2022 - Travel Day - Part 1 May 10, 2022 - Travel Day - Part 2 May 10, 2022 - Tra...